Skip to main content

Wedo 2.0 Robotics Challenges

All right, I hope your adventure with the Wedo kit has been enjoyable thus far, now to make it more motivating.  I had students for about 10 hours over a period of 3 days working on the kits.  I created some basic challenges for them to maintain a high level of motivation and enthusiasm.

To begin I created a google slide with my students names and a blank space for points.  As a class we decided that a successful guided project with working code earned 10 points. For instance, a helicopter from the drop and rescue project which pulled and lowered objects got 10 points for the student(s) who create it.  We then determined that if your robot won any challenges again another robot you or your team earned 5 extra points while a 2nd place would earn 3 points. I asked the kids to alert me when they were finished with a build, show me the code they created and boom I went right to our google slide and added in 10 points by their name.

I quickly realized tracking wins in the below challenges was a bit trickier so I just created a  T chart system on the whiteboard for them to write their names down like the one below. Once I had a bunch of names on the board I simply added the totals for each kiddo and erased their name.

Tug of War
 1st    |   2nd 
Sue | Sam
Peyton  |  Daphne

Tug of War


This old time game and field day favorite is also really fun with robots.  The kit comes with 2 chains, simply hook them up together (we found that 2 chains worked best for us) in the center of a predetermined line and hit play on your code.  The robots will do the work while the kids cheer on the sidelines. If you have lost the chains paperclips work well to connect the robots too.






Race Track

Easy set up here, I had the kids use extra lego pieces and create a start and finish line in a nice straight part of our computer lab.  Once all race robots are ready, a referee shouts Ready Sety Go and they're off!


Sumo

This turned out to be a class favorite.  I simply drew a giant circle on a big piece of butcher paper. The kids place their robots in the middle and play their code.  The first robot out of the circle loses.  I also modified it for the younger students with a smaller circle inside the larger one so they didnt have to add more code.  The smaller circle win was only worth 3 points though.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd Grade Journeys Word Wall

I have transferred to a new school district as well as a new grade so now all of my first grade word lists, cards and high frequency games got moved to the back of the cabinet.  So... I needed to make new 2nd grade versions, of everything. Bummer! First, I wanted to jazz up my word wall  bulletin board.  My school district uses the Journeys reading curriculum so I knew I needed to use those specific word lists.  I like the small white cards that come with our basal set, but I find they all look the same in a big stack by lesson 18, let alone a tower or white by lesson 30.  I instead used an easy to read font and made my own cards just a bit bigger than those sent by the program.  I also added the lesson number and story title to the front of each card.  I love having those right in plain view because it gives the students (and myself, volunteers, or aides) a quick reminder what story/lesson to refer to.  Another trick I like to use each year is to print each unit on it's own colo