Skip to main content

Transferring Schools!

Yep, it's official.  I have left my school district of 11 years and made the move to a smaller district closer to my home.  Why? Because I love my kids and I became a teacher so I could be a part of their lives at school.  My oldest will be starting kindergarten and it was always my hope that we could go to school together and that I could actually see him every day.  I can't wait to pop in his room during a class party or see him perform at an assembly.  Daycare drop off has caused me severe mom guilt for the last 5 years and now I am one step closer to lessening that feeling. 

Thankfully I accepted my new position in January so I had time to plan my move.  Transfering also forced me to declutter and purge all of that accumulated stuff. I set a goal to go through one drawer or crate each week and thoroughly-we're talking literally touching every single piece of paper by the end of each week.  I spent about 30 minutes each week and it paid off because by May when I was ready to start packing, I had made it around the room.

One tip when moving your entire room is to keep your boxes small. In the beginning of my process I was gladly taking all of those giant toilet paper boxes from my janitor.  I would fill it to the brim and then quickly realized that I couldn't even push it to the door let alone pick it up. I'm not a huge person and I did most of the hauling myself so use copy boxes or smaller. I also tried to use bins and crates I already had, they were nice and sturdy. 

Here's a peek at the next room, I'm excited to jazz it up and add some color. Stay tuned for some updates as I unpack.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd Grade Journeys Word Wall

I have transferred to a new school district as well as a new grade so now all of my first grade word lists, cards and high frequency games got moved to the back of the cabinet.  So... I needed to make new 2nd grade versions, of everything. Bummer! First, I wanted to jazz up my word wall  bulletin board.  My school district uses the Journeys reading curriculum so I knew I needed to use those specific word lists.  I like the small white cards that come with our basal set, but I find they all look the same in a big stack by lesson 18, let alone a tower or white by lesson 30.  I instead used an easy to read font and made my own cards just a bit bigger than those sent by the program.  I also added the lesson number and story title to the front of each card.  I love having those right in plain view because it gives the students (and myself, volunteers, or aides) a quick reminder what story/lesson to refer to.  Another trick I like to use each year is to print each unit on it's own colo